Sunday, March 2, 2014

Kid Stuff: homemade play dough

I got an iPhone a couple weeks ago, and I'm experimenting with adding pictures to the blog from the phone but still using the computer for most of the typing.  (No, I don't have a tablet.  Someday, hopefully!)  So please bear with me while I get the hang of this!
Now that I'm doing childcare again, I want to start sharing some of the crafts, recipes, etc. that I've done.   Today I tried making homemade play-dough using the recipe in one of my early childhood textbooks.
Homemade Play Dough:
2 cups flour
1 cup salt
2 cups water
2 Tablespoons oil (I used vegetable oil)
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
food coloring
Stir all ingredients over low heat until mixture has coagulated into  a dough.  Allow time for the dough to cool thoroughly.  I took the pot off the stove and covered it with a dish towel until it was mostly cool, then put it in containers.  While kids definitely need to be taught not to eat the dough, all the ingredients are edible and they would probably have to eat a ton of it before they'd even get a stomachache.  This recipe made two pint containers (shown here), and the recipe can easily be cut in half.  I will probably cut it in half for future recipes because I don't need that much.