Sunday, March 30, 2014

My Two Cents On “I Left My Religion” Memoirs


I'm in an interesting season right now. I am undergoing a LOT of changes in my life, both logistically and spiritually. I'll write more about all that once I know which end of me is up.

Lately I've been drawn to memoirs written by people who made significant changes in their belief system, whether that meant joining a religion or leaving one. I think that's because I understand where people on both sides are coming from. Joining or leaving a religion is a big decision, and if you're going about it wisely, it's not something that happens overnight.

I don't have an opinion on the genre as a whole, for the record. I can't say I like or hate all “I left my religion” memoirs any more than I could say I love or hate all fiction books. I've read some memoirs that are very gracious and well-written, and others where the author clearly meant it as an attack on their previous religion and the people who still believe in it.

There are two important things we have to understand about “I Left My Religion” memoirs:

1.) Those of us who joined a religion later on in life are in the same boat, in a way, because we traded in one belief system for another. Even if you did not “grow up religious”, you grew up with a set of beliefs about the world. If you joined a different religion, you probably rejected at least some of the beliefs you grew up with. If you are spiritually healthy, your beliefs will evolve over time, even if they don't drastically change. So I would caution anyone who has issues with “I left my religion” memoirs in general not to turn it into an “us versus them” thing.

2.) Whether or not an “I left my religion” memoir is positive or not depends on who the author claims is responsible for their wounds. The more negative authors tend to blame their ex-religion as a whole, as opposed to naming abusive behaviors and situations such as mind control, abuse, and cults. These are situations that can happen in any belief system, and it's possible to call them for what they are without attacking a specific religion or particular people.

Feel free to share your experience with “I left my religion” memoirs or “I joined a different religion” memoirs! I've love to hear what you all have to say!