Sunday, March 23, 2014

Ask Kati: "Are you Conservative?"



I get this question a lot and it's a fair question, considering that I'm somewhat egaliatarian-ish and support “common sense” feminism, yet cover my hair and hardly ever wear pants anymore.

It depends on what you mean by “conservative.” In this instance people can either mean politically conservative culturally conservative, or theologically conservative. Since these are three very different things, my answer has three parts.

Politically, I definitely do not identify as conservative. I guess you could say I'm a moderate. I think liberals are right about some things, conservatives are right about others, and on other points both are right or both are wrong. I think we lose out on a lot when we care more about parties than about particular candidates and issues. But I really hate blogging about politics so I'm going to stop there.

Culturally, I suppose you could say I'm fairly conservative. Taking my husband's name when I got married meant a lot to me. I would much rather be referred to as “Mrs.” than “Ms.” because I am happily married and I'm not ashamed of that. Even before I became a Christian, I didn't think pre-marital sex was a smart idea, especially for teenagers. I'm not going to go so far as to say teenagers should never date. That being said, I'm also not going to encourage my teenagers to date in high school, for a number of reasons. Modesty has become pretty meaningful to me in the last couple of years. I wear long skirts almost all the time, and I have covered my head full-time for over two years. I don't think it's incompatible with feminism. If anything is incompatible with feminism, it's succumbing to societal pressures to flaunt everything you've got.

You could also say I'm theologically conservative, although this one is a little more complicated. I'm theologically conservative in the sense that I believe the Bible to be the only religious text that is fully true and free of error. (And for the record, I don't deny that there are some issues in translating Hebrew and Greek into English. The more I learn about those cultures and languages, the more I realize how much we lose trying to translate it into English. But that doesn't negate the truth of the Bible.) Every Christian has their own definition of “theologically conservative”, so I will have to elaborate more about my definition in a different post, but that is the gist of it. 

I love answering questions like this!  If there's anything you'd like to ask please leave it in the comments section and I'll do a post about it!