Tuesday, November 5, 2013

"It's Tough Being A Western Woman"


I was watching this 20/20 special on Malala Yousafzai. It seems so cheesy to say it's a great story, but it really is. And for the D/HH crowd, it's captioned!

I'm mentioning this documentary because there's a line in there that really sums up how I understand feminism, dress, and headcovering these days. For anyone who did not watch the special (which you really should, because it's amazing), there's a scene where Diane Sawyer is interviewing some fundamentalist Muslim women who do not agree with Malala's viewpoint. One of the women is talking about how Western women face a lot of pressure and there is so much focus on what body parts are showing. She says, point blank, “It's tough being a Western woman.”

I disagree with the other stuff this woman said. But I am not going to disagree with that. It's tough being a Western woman. It's tough enough that I'm no longer trying to shove myself into a mold I don't fit, this arbitrary standard of what makes an “ideal woman.” I care about the pointless stuff a lot less now that I cover my head and more of my body than I used to. (My style of dress has evolved a bit in the past two years. I'll be writing more about that in another post.) I dress the way I do because it's FREEING! I'm not saying we should make laws that require every woman to dress like this. That wouldn't be freeing. But you have to understand, I feel freer now than I used to. I used to drive myself crazy worrying about my hair. It's “double thick”, meaning the strands are thick and I have a lot of hair. I struggled to get it to do what I wanted. I wasted so much time worrying about it. I ironed, sprayed, and gooped it up way more than was good for it. It's so much simpler to put on a hat or a scarf (or two or three) and leave it at that.

Before I started covering, people defined me by my appearance. My hair and my body attracted a lot of attention. It got to the point where I felt like that's all I was. Wearing a headscarf and covering the outline of my legs sends the message, “Yes, I have a body, but it's not all I am."  That is not an "un-feminist" message to send. 

I'm not going to insist that every woman cover. But I will say, being a Western woman got much easier when I did.