Saturday, September 21, 2013

Tips for New and Prospective Hearing Aid Users



I don't know how many readers have been newly diagnosed with hearing loss. But just in case someone out there is wearing hearing aids for the first time, or about to get hearing aids, I'd like to share some tips that will, hopefully, make this transition a little easier. I don't have a cochlear implant, but I'm sure this would also apply to CI's as well.

1.) Your first pair of aids should only be used under the supervision of an audiologist. I bought my current pair of hearing aids online and am thrilled with the results, but my first pair came from the audiologist. I know it costs an arm and a leg to get them from there, but it's really worth it the first time around. In the US, health insurance rarely covers hearing aids but most clinics will let you set up a payment plan. I've heard from a few hearing aid users in Canada and the UK and other European countries who said their aids were either covered or mostly covered by insurance. So if you live outside the US, check with your insurance provider, because it may be covered.

2.) When you first put your hearing aids on, things WILL sound weird. Give your ears and brain time to adjust before taking the aids back for a tune-up. I've seen YouTube videos of people getting a cochlear implant activated or putting on hearing aids for the first time. They always seem so excited, and you don't see any hint of shock or discomfort. Frankly, that was not my experience for either pair of hearing aids. Sure, I was excited, but everything was SO loud. Ambient noise sounded like a train running through my head because I didn't remember what it sounded like. And be prepared for the fact that your voice might sound weird to yourself. When I got my first pair of hearing aids, I hated my voice because I sounded like a robot. All the little sounds I'd never heard before drove me insane. This is completely normal and starts to go away anywhere from a few days to a few weeks after your fitting.

3.) Wear them for a few hours a day and work up to full days as quickly as you can. Wearing hearing aids is not like wearing glasses. Your brain needs to adjust to how you hear through your hearing aids. The more you can wear your hearing aids, the quicker your brain will adjust, and eventually you'll get to the point where you forget you're even wearing them. If you're worried about the cost of batteries, I'm with you on that one. Nowadays there are several models that use rechargeable batteries, which will save money and batteries in the long run. (These models can still use regular batteries if something were to happen to your rechargeables.)

4.) Always, always, ALWAYS carry extra batteries and a case. I can't emphasize this enough. You don't want to be in a situation where your batteries run out of juice and you don't have other ones. Even with rechargeables, I have the occasional night where I forget to put them in the charger before I go to bed. And if, heaven forbid, your hearing aids come into contact with water, the battery will be a goner so you will need a new one to use after your hearing aid is revived. Assuming it still works, that is.


5.) Get a hearing aid dehumidifier. Nothing can wear out hearing aids and molds faster than moisture. If you use rechargeable batteries with an electric charger, the charger sort of acts as a dehumidifier so you won't need to use it as often. But even if you have a charger, you still need a dehumidifier. On super humid days, you'll need to throw your hearing aids in there whenever there's significant moisture buildup, and they can be very helpful for reviving a hearing aid that has gotten wet.

(Reviving a wet hearing aid is a topic that deserves its own post. I'll work on that and get it posted as soon as possible.)


6.) Keep them out of reach of pets and small children. I don't know what it is about pets, but they love hearing aids. My previous cat would take them out of the dehumidifier while I was in the shower if I didn't shut the darn thing all the way. She would play with them, and throw them around, and hide them places. If your dehumidifier has a screw-top lid, make sure it's screwed all the way tight. If it's only screwed on part way and a dog or cat knocks it over, it will break open.

7.) NEVER take your hearing aids off and put them in your pocket. If you need to take them off, put them in a case or dehumidifier. This is asking for trouble. You could forget they're in there and run them through the washing machine. You could drop them in a puddle trying to get them out of your pocket. I've done both of those, I'm sorry to say. The possibilities of what could happen are endless. Just don't even mess with this.

8.) Be patient with yourself while learning how to use the phone with your hearing aid. I'll be writing another post about hearing aids and phone usage at some point, but know that it takes some getting used to. Don't be afraid to use other communication modes if it's easier.