Friday, September 13, 2013

CC, OC, SDH, and Subtitles: What's the Difference?



For the longest time, I would admittedly get frustrated with hearing people if they didn't understand why I needed captions, or how to tell if a DVD is captioned or subtitled. But then I saw the light and realized I spent more time talking about my frustration than I did educating people on the issue. (This actually pertains to a LOT of aspects of being HOH in the hearing world, not just captions!) So I decided I'm going to start blogging about these subjects as they come up. I guess you could call this the unofficial, blogging version of “Hearing Loss For Dummies.”

Closed Captioning and Open Captioning are both coded through the television monitor as opposed to the DVD player. Closed Captioning is white text enclosed in a black box. Open Captioning is white text that is not enclosed. The DVD program on my computer uses OC, whereas my television set uses CC. The one disadvantage of OC is it can be hard to see if the background is lighter. CC is much more common, probably for that reason.

You turn on the captions through your TV's menu. Since everyone's TV is different, a tutorial on how to turn on the captions would be pretty pointless. If you're starting to develop hearing loss and want to start using captions, take a look at the instruction manual for your TV. If you didn't keep it, you can probably find instructions online. Once you turn the captions on, they will stay turned on unless you manually turn them back off. When your TV is in CC mode, captions will go on automatically for DVDs, shows, and commercials that are captioned.

SDH (Subtitles for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing): SDH is coded through the DVD player instead of the TV. It looks a lot like Open Captions. The text is usually white, but sometimes it's yellow. DVD's that don't have CC usually have SDH. Some have both. If I have a choice, I choose CC because, again, it gives you more contrast against lighter backgrounds.

Subtitles: The huge difference between subtitles and captions or SDH is what's in the text. The intention of subtitles is to make a movie accessible to a hearing person who speaks a different language. Often, they are not word-for-word, and they don't have sound effects that a person with hearing loss might miss, such as a knock at the door, a scream off-stage, etc. I'll use subtitles in a pinch when there are no other options, but they are not the same thing as captions or SDH.

How to tell if a DVD has captions or SDH: The CC or SDH icon will be on the back or spine of the DVD case. The “CC” is usually encased in a little TV symbol or a thick square. The “SDH” letters are sometimes in a box, but usually they're just by themselves. They often have an asterisk with the explanation of “subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing” at the bottom of the case.

If you've ever watched a movie with me, you've seen me check the DVD case to make sure it's captioned. This is what I'm looking for.

The legislation regarding what has to be captioned is a bit complicated. I'll have to do more research and go into more details in another post. But here's the short version: In the US, movies produced for entertainment purposes need to have CC or SDH by law. Special features do not. Documentaries also are not required to have captions. PBS puts captions on all their stuff, thankfully. Needless to say, the lack of captions on non-PBS documentaries made college a living nightmare!

If you have any other questions, please feel free to leave a comment! :)