Saturday, September 7, 2013

The Bullying Epidemic

Bullying is a subject that I hadn’t thought much about until recently, when I saw a discussion about it on a friend’s Facebook wall.  Ever since I read all those posts, I’ve been thinking more about my experiences with being bullied in late elementary and early junior high. 

As for finding a solution to this epidemic, I’ve come to a conclusion that will probably ruffle a lot of feathers: 

Bullying is a complex, societal problem that does not have a “quick fix.”  Most of the ideas I’ve heard from well-intentioned parents and teachers are great in theory, but they don’t always work in practice.  The two most common “solutions” to bullying these days are putting your child in private school and trying to create a school environment where students take a stand against bullying and peer violence.  I can’t say that these solutions never work, because for all I know someone else might have had better luck with them than I did.  But they don’t solve the bigger societal issues that contribute to bullying.

Here are the major problems in a nutshell:

1.)  We don’t practice what we preach.  Parents and teachers tell children that they need to treat each other with respect.  Unfortunately, we live in a world where most adults don’t do that.  If we respected each other, it would come more naturally for our kids, and bullying wouldn’t be anywhere near as common. 

2.)  Most children who turn into bullies have a rough time of it outside the classroom.  I knew enough about my bullies to know that every single one of them was dealing with something major.  Several of them had parents who were going through horrible divorces.  I remember in 5th grade, one classmate in particular was having awful side effects from an ADHD medication, and he bullied everyone.  With so many students dealing with those kinds of situations, the odds of finding enough students to put together some kind of coalition is slim.

3.)  Even if there was enough interest in such a coalition, there is very little support and protection for students who actually want to take a stand against bullying and peer violence.  I’ve heard countless stories of high school students who were either suspended or threatened with suspension for breaking up fights, or standing up for a friend who was being harassed.  The “zero tolerance” policy isn’t going to work as long as there is also “zero tolerance” for students who actually want to do the right thing. 

I really wish I had an easy answer to the question of how do we stop bullying.  But the truth is, there is no such thing as an easy answer as long as we’ve got these bigger societal issues to contend with.