Tuesday, July 2, 2013

The Food Connection


 By now, my little balcony garden is thriving.  Everything looks, tastes, and smells terrific.  Every morning, before breakfast, coffee, or my work, I’m out there, watering and pruning.  I absolutely love being able to do this.  I love being physically strong enough to care for these beautiful plants.  I love knowing that I’ll be strong enough to raise my own livestock down the road.  There’s this indescribable sense of peace and wholeness.    The word “wholeness” doesn’t really go far enough.  “Connectedness” is a better word.  I’m living in color now, fully connected to these plants I’m raising and the food they produce.

I used to have extremely disordered, disconnected eating patterns.  I’m staying away from the phrase “eating disorder,” not because it offends me, but because I feel like it’s not an accurate description of what I went through, of what countless people are still going through.  The word “disconnected” is much more like it.  I was disconnected from all the positive aspects of food.  Eating had become this compartmentalized part of my existence that I resented. 

When I started outpatient rehab, I had a Body Mass Index of 16.  (The healthy range for women in my age group is 18-24).  My care team was concerned I was going to drop dead from a heart attack, because my heart was under so much stress.  My hair was coming out in such big clumps that I actually had a few bald spots.  I was so disconnected from everyone and everything. 

Gradually things began to improve.  The facility where I received treatment was phenomenal.  My heart got stronger.  My weight went up.  I started learning how to enjoy food again.  The one thing I wished this treatment center would’ve had was a huge vegetable garden for the patients. A few well-intentioned people have told me I will probably struggle with this for the rest of my life.  I used to believe that.  But now, after cultivating my garden, I respectfully disagree.  I’m not saying my experience didn’t leave scars.  I will always have to take precautions to prevent osteoporosis and other health problems that most people my age don’t have to worry about.  But anorexia doesn’t have a hold on me anymore.  It lost its power when I reconnected with food.