Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Redefining the concept of "diet"


 In one of my previous entries, I wrote about the importance of being connected to our food.  A huge part of eating disorder recovery was simply learning how to enjoy my food again.  When I was in the early stages of my recovery, it was simply a matter of increasing my food intake.  I had a meal plan that I was trying to stick to, but the important thing was just making sure I ate. 

Now that I’ve been in a healthy place for a few years, my food connection is deepening.  The more I get into homesteading, the more I’m learning about the miracle of food and how our bodies use it.  I’m getting to know my own body and my own nutritional needs.  I recently found out that my cholesterol is slightly elevated (it’s genetic.)  I also have a few other health conditions that I am trying to manage, at least in part, by eating healthier food.

I’m trying not to use the word “diet” in the traditional sense, because in our culture it’s so synonymous with the word “can’t.”  The general concept of a diet is a list of foods you can’t eat. If someone were to ask me if I’m “on a diet,” I suppose the technical answer would be yes.  There are some things that are either no longer a part of my diet, or are consumed in much smaller (and less frequent) amounts.  But I don’t think in terms of “can’t.”  I’m something of a go-getter when I want to be.  When I found out I have high cholesterol, my response wasn’t, “Oh great, I can’t eat this or this or this.”  I didn’t think of my diet as being restricted.  I didn’t think of it as a punishment.  I looked at it as an opportunity to find different foods that I’d enjoy eating (and maybe growing!), and that would be a bit healthier. 

I’m not saying we should never use the word “diet.”  It’s a useful word in the right context.  I just wish we could separate it from this idea of “can’t.”