Saturday, February 8, 2014

On The Road With Hearing Loss

One of the questions I get asked the most about having hearing loss is, “How can you drive?” I got my license late, for a variety of reasons, none of which had anything to do with my hearing loss. But people still ask. For a long time, this question made me angry, because it seems like a stupid question to me. But I realized that it's not a stupid question for hearing people. So rather than get frustrated, I'm going to pipe down and actually answer the question.

The simple answer is, I drive just like anyone else. I did not get my license until after I became hard of hearing, so I don't know any different. I cannot hear sirens until they are right behind me, but I realized I developed the habit of frequently glancing in my rearview mirror, so I usually see them coming ahead of time. I stay in the right lane as much as possible so I can pull over quickly if I don't see it in advance, but that doesn't usually happen.

I listen to music just like anyone else. I can barely hear classical when I'm in my car, so I tend to gravitate toward other genres.

I keep a notepad in my car so I can have police officers write things down if I don't understand them. I also carry a hearing loss alert card in my wallet. I have yet to be pulled over, but if that ever happens, I will hand it to the police officer along with my license and registration. If you have hearing loss and get in an accident or get pulled over, it's very important for the cops to know that you are deaf or hard of hearing. They need to know that if you don't respond, it's because you can't hear them, not because you are intoxicated or injured. If you have recently developed hearing loss, I highly recommend getting a hearing loss alert card. Your local DMV or Department of Human Services should be able to tell you where to get one. If you have a cochlear implant, you should wear a medical alert bracelet or necklace stating that you cannot have an MRI, unless you know for a fact that your CI model is recent enough to be MRI-compatible.

So yeah, that's my two cents on hearing loss and driving!