Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Gardening 101

I’m at the point where I’m sort of settling into a rhythm with gardening and homesteading.  I’m at the point where people are starting to ask me questions and I feel confident about answering them, at least some of the time. 

One of the questions I’ve been getting asked a lot is, “Can I grow stuff even if I don’t have a lot of time?”  The answer to that is YES!  I don’t have a lot of time either, to be honest.  Most of my time is taken up with housework, my Etsy shop, writing, and canning. And here’s the thing about gardening: Getting it all set up is the time-consuming part.  The ongoing watering and maintenance is pretty simple.

I don’t want to give the impression that I have it all figured out, but at this point, I do feel experienced enough to give a bit of practical advice to people who are interested in learning more about gardening.  So here are a few simple tips to help you get started:

1.)    Just start!  I can’t tell you how many times people have told me that they would love to do all the gardening and homestead-y things that I do, but they can’t because of XYZ.  I’m not saying there won’t be logistical challenges, or that there is only one way to live self-sufficiently.  But most of the excuses that people give are not valid.  Just start.  Start small with just one pot of your favorite herb.  But start!

2.)    Consider the space and lighting.  When a seed packet says the plant needs full sun, it means FULL SUN.  Don’t even try to mess with this or your plants won’t grow properly.  I’ve learned that the hard way.  If your growing space doesn’t get a lot of sun, growing plants like tomatoes and chamomile simply isn’t going to work for you. 

3.)    Be realistic about what quantities you will actually use.  For people who have more space to work with, it can be tempting to grow a ton of your favorite herb or vegetable.  But you can easily end up with more than you know what to do with.  If you have a large family, that might not be as much of a problem.  But right now, it’s just me and my husband.  Our storage space is pretty limited, so I have to be mindful of how I use it. 

4.)    Don’t worry!  If things don’t go well the first time around, don’t worry about it!  I can’t tell you how many basil plant casualties ensued while I was trying to get this gardening thing figured out.  Learn from your mistakes and get back in the saddle.  You’ll be so glad you did!

If you have any questions about any of this, or about specific plants, please leave a comment!  If I don't know the answer, I will do my best to find it for you! :)