Monday, August 26, 2013

Introducing my new Joy V-Slim BTE Hearing Aids!

If you don't wear hearing aids, this entry will probably be of no interest to you.  But I've been getting enough questions about my new hearing aids that I wanted to do an entry for anyone who's interested.  

By now I’ve been using my new hearing aids for a few weeks.  They are the Joy V-Slim BTE model by Rexton, from Lloyd Hearing Aid.  BTE stands for “behind the ear.” My favorite thing about these hearing aids is they can take rechargeable batteries.  Anyone who’s ever worn hearing aids or cochlear implants knows that the batteries cost an arm and a leg.  And for anyone who’s never worn them, I’ll tell you, the batteries cost an arm and a leg.  So rechargeable batteries that can last 8-12 months are pretty sweet.  I’ll still keep some non-rechargeables on hand “just in case,” but it’s great to have the option of saving money and the environment at the same time.

The Joy V-Slim model has 4 channels, whereas my previous hearing aids only have 3.  I have the normal acoustic, background noise filter, and telecoil, and now I have a TV/music channel.  Honestly, I’m not sure what I think of the music channel.  I don’t really use it for music.  I either just keep my hearing aids on the acoustic channel or plug in my neck loop and put on the telecoil.  For me, that channel makes music louder than my baseline decibel level without really making it clearer.  And as for using it for TV, if there’s any kind of background noise at all, everything just sounds way too loud.  Because of the negative experiences I’ve had using that channel with background noise, my desire to use it has gone down.  But maybe I just need to give it another shot sometime if I’m watching TV and there’s no background noise. 

I happened to be due for new molds around the time I got these hearing aids, so I got those from Lloyd Hearing Aid as well.  I’ll have to do an entry on making your own mold impressions, since I’m sure people will have lots of questions about that.  And in a year or two, when I’m due for molds again, I’m going to have the hubby make a video of me taking my own impressions so you can see how quick, safe, and easy it really is. 

The one thing that’s still taking some getting used to is having a volume control on one aid and the channel changer on the other.  This means adjusting volume for both hearing aids with one volume control.  I wouldn’t say I hate this arrangement, but it’s definitely taking some getting used to.  With my old aids, if I needed to make a phone call I would take out the aid for my bad ear and use the phone with the hearing aid on my good ear.  Because I use my left ear for phone calls and the volume control is on the right aid, I have to leave them both in when I use the phone.  Since I now have to have both aids on t-coil to use the phone, this means I can’t hear ANY environmental sounds outside of the phone (except for maybe a smoke alarm!)  I guess this isn’t really good or bad, it just is what it is.  I’ll get used to it eventually.  

If anyone has any questions about these particular hearing aids or about earmolds or ordering online, please feel free to leave your questions in the comment section!  You can read my blog entry on purchasing online here.