Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Different, Inside and Out

If there’s one thing no one wants to be, it’s being thought of as different (in the negative sense of the word.)  Even in the church, people go to great lengths to blend in.  We sugarcoat the tough parts of our theology to avoid offending people.  We don’t want non-Christians to see us as different.

But the thing is, if you are a sincere Christian, you ARE different. You have been adopted into God’s family.  Being different is inevitable.  I’ve been thinking about this for awhile, and I’ve come to the conclusion that you can’t be an authentic person and be everybody’s friend at the same time.  You just can’t.  I would know, I’ve tried.

By now, covering my head has pretty much become second nature.  I think that has a lot to do with accepting the fact that I already felt different before I started covering.  I won’t go into details here, but let’s just say I’ve faced quite a bit of opposition to the way I’m walking out my faith life, opposition from Christians and non-Christians alike.  I’ve felt different from the first day of this journey, and I’ve been realizing that this is not an accident.  On the contrary, it’s exactly how it’s supposed to be!