Saturday, August 24, 2013

Are Two Aids Better Than One?

Hearing people and those who are newly diagnosed with hearing loss often wonder if they really need two hearing aids.  I’ve had so many people say to me, “hearing aids are so expensive!  I just want to buy one!”

I hate to burst everyone’s bubble, but the truth is, if you have bilateral hearing loss, wearing one hearing aid is going to be about as effective as wearing one contact lens.  Anyone who wears contacts knows you need to wear two lenses or your vision doesn’t appear corrected.  Just like eyes, the ears are designed to work as a team.  You can buy just one hearing aid, but you won’t feel like you’re getting your money’s worth if you have hearing loss in your other ear.  I’ve had a few unfortunate hearing aid casualties that have resulted in having to wear one aid until I could get the other replaced, and let me tell you, that was a beast.  I actually got a lot of headaches because everything sounded so “unbalanced.”

So if you have bilateral hearing loss, save yourself the frustration and just get two right off the bat.