Thursday, August 8, 2013

Confessions of a Divorce Kid


 It goes without saying that divorce is an iffy topic in the church today.  Christians who are not divorced are quick to past judgment on those who are divorced.  That in itself is bad enough, but what’s even more pathetic is the treatment I’ve received from some Christians because I am a divorce kid.  As someone who has been a DK for about 17 years and a Christian for 9 years, I’ve got a lot to say on this subject. I’ve boiled it down to a few bullet points.  Here goes:

1.)  Telling me that “God hates divorce” or that you “don’t believe in divorce” is a surefire way to stay off my A-list. If you are not a divorce kid, you have about as much authority on this subject as I would on being a Holocaust survivor.  And yes, God does hate divorce.  He also hates every other sin.  So put down your stones.

2.)  Blended families exist.  Deal with it.  The church has this really annoying habit of overlooking people who don’t come from “traditional” families.  Regardless of your views on gay marriage and family preservation, non-traditional families are a part of reality.  I should not have to explain to adults that I have both biological and step-parents.  Adults should also know better than to ask me if I have “real” parents, or “why don’t I have real parents.”  Sometimes I just want to say “Poke them!  They’re real!”  The fact that I have to ask adults to please use the term “biological parents” and “step-parents” is just sad.

3.)  My parents’ divorce has significantly impacted my life, but it hasn’t destroyed it.  It’s a complete myth that divorce has no impact on children.  It will affect them in ways they won’t completely understand until they hit adulthood. Kids don’t fully understand all the ramifications of divorce. If you’re reading this and you’re a divorced parent, this is especially important for you to keep in mind.  However, it’s very important that you don’t send a DK the message that their life and their future relationships are done for because of their parents’ divorce. 

4.)  The church has, for the most part, failed to be a safe place for DK’s to ask questions and receive support.  I’ve always been more comfortable talking about my parents’ divorce with people who describe themselves as non-Christians or not religiously affiliated.  I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s the case for other Christian DK’s as well.  I wish the church was more supportive, but apparently casting stones is more fun than being supportive and admitting that people are complex and imperfect.

I don’t think the church’s treatment of divorcees and DK’s is just about divorce.  This is just a symptom of the fact that we have turned into a fake church where it’s not okay to be human. I found this article on Sojourners, and I couldn’t have said it better myself!