Saturday, February 9, 2013

Quarter of a Century Celebration! (A.K.A., 25 Random Things About Me)

 In celebration of the fact that I have been hanging out on this planet for 25 years, I've compiled a list of 25 random things about me.  I'm sure there are people out there who see this as a sign that I'm incurably self-absorbed.  I respectfully disagree.  I have taken some pretty hard knocks in my life.  It took awhile to get to the point where I could see in myself the same person that God and all my loved ones see.  Being in the place where I was able to make this list was a bigger step than you might think.

So, without further ado, here are my 25 random things!


1.)  My right thumb is double-jointed.

2.)  I’ve fractured my collarbone, my finger, and my hand.

3.)  I started reading when I was 3.

4.)  I’m terrified of snakes, spiders, and cancer.

5.)  I hate bananas, but I love banana bread. Go figure!

6.)  I played the flute for 7 years in grade school.

7.)  This dates me, but one of my favorite TV shows as a kid was “Lamb Chop’s Play-Along.”

8.)  In my dreams, I am always hearing.  I don’t remember ever having a dream in which I was wearing hearing aids.

9.)  My favorite color is green.

10.)  I love Italian food and I want to learn how to cook more Italian dishes.

11.)  I met my husband while laying sod at the church I was attending at the time.  Our gardening tools smacked into each other.  I kid you not!

12.)  I started writing when I was in 6th grade.

13.)  I love all things peppermint.

14.)  I am about half British/Scottish and a quarter German.  The remaining quarter of my ethnicity consists of Swedish, Norwegian, and Irish.  There may be some Finnish in there, too.

15.)  I learned to knit when I was 6.

16.)  My hair was light blonde when I was a kid.

17.)  The year I was born was a leap year, and I was due on leap day!

18.)  The two most common misconceptions people have about me are that I am left-handed and I’m a vegetarian.  No idea how either of those got started!

19.)  My younger sister and I have been mistaken for twins on more than one occasion.  That always cracked us up, since we’re two and a half years apart and look nothing alike!

20.)  I am definitely a small-town person.

21.)  I don’t touch raw cookie dough.  I got food poisoning from it once.

22.)  I’ve had a round of braces and I’m currently on my second night-time retainer.  Apparently my teeth are as free-form as the rest of me!

23.)  I have attended just about every type of school there is: public, Montessori-style, parochial, and a homeschooling-type program.  My best experiences were in the public schools and the private Montessori-style school.  Parochial was, hands down, the worst.

24.)  I’ve gone sea-kayaking off the coast of Alaska

25.)  I have gone without makeup since my wedding day in 2011, and even then I only wore a little bit.  I love having a “naked” face!