Tuesday, February 19, 2013

A Day Without Running Water


 Today I had an experience that stopped me in my tracks.

For over 6 hours, there was no running water in my apartment.  A water main had broken down the street, and the city shut off the water on our side of the break until they could get it fixed.

Justin was off today and I was just getting off work around noon when he texted me and told me that the water was shut off.  I quickly made a beeline for the nearest restroom before heading out to my car!

I had quite the experience when I got home.  Justin said the toilet tank had enough water in it for just one more flush.  We could add more water to the tank, but the grand total for bottled water in the apartment at that moment was only about two and a half gallons.  If the water stayed shut off for longer than a day, we would have to either pay through the nose for bottled water at the store or get creative and fill up our gallon jugs elsewhere.

When the water came back on late in the afternoon, I immediately decided two things:

1.)  I had never been this grateful for running water in my life!  (I’m so glad no one was there to see the look on my face when we could FINALLY flush the toilet!)
2.)  I had never been this adamant about stocking up on bottled water for the future.

I wanted to share this because it caught me completely off-guard.  If the water had to stay off for longer than a day, it would’ve been a huge headache because we weren’t as prepared as we could be.  So let me step up on the “emergency preparedness” soapbox just long enough to say this:

Do yourself and your family a huge favor.  Stock up on as much bottled water as is reasonable for your living situation.  You don’t know when you might need it.

Alright, I’m stepping down from the soapbox now :).