Friday, February 15, 2013

Jesus Wept: Pondering the Absence of Grief in Western Culture



I know I’ve been horribly inconsistent in my blogging.  As I said in my recent love/hate update, I am currently going through a lot of experiences that I don’t have much of a grid for.  I think the only thing to do is take it one step at a time and write about things as I have the words for them.

One of the things I am wrestling with is the issue of grief.  You probably cringed as you read that sentence.  Grief is not acceptable in our culture.  But my dear grandmother is at the end of her life, so it’s just around the corner for me, culturally acceptable or not. 

Recently, I had a couple of interesting conversations about grief that I want to write about.  The first friend I talked to, who is much older than I am, told me that she chose to wear an article of black clothing every day for a year after her father passed away.  This external symbol of grieving acted as a spiritual discipline of sorts.  This really resonated with me, as I will probably want to wear black for at least a little while after my grandmother’s passing. 

Then I was explaining this to another friend who is also in her twenties.  She commented that wearing black as a symbol of grieving is old-fashioned, but since I like a lot of things that are considered old-fashioned, she was not surprised that I wanted to consider it.

This response is what I want to talk about.  No offense to my friend, but this is the typical Western view of the subject of mourning.  I want to point out this little known fact:

It is only in Western culture that external symbols of grief are considered abnormal, inappropriate, or out-of-date.  In Jewish culture and other cultures, expressions of grief are perfectly normal and acceptable.

Here in the West, grief is not something we know how to handle.  So we respond the way we always respond when we are faced with something that’s uncomfortable:

We ignore it.  And usually things go okay.  For a little while.

Then the grief starts to grow like cancer, slowly damaging our minds and our hearts.  And as it grows, it evolves into anger, depression, anxiety, numbness, or any combination thereof. 

Grief that is expressed and addressed in a healthy way will not grow into any of those things.  If you have lost a family member or a pet, you have to find a way to express your pain. 

And that is why I will wear black for as long as the Lord leads.  It will be my way of saying, “The world just lost a wonderful person who was very important to me.  I’m not okay right now, but I will get to the point where I can live with it.” 

I plan to do more research on the Jewish customs for mourning.  If you know of any books or webpages that would be helpful, please post a comment!