Tuesday, October 16, 2012

The Importance of Yesterday


The Importance of Yesterday

It happens every so often.  I get so caught up in who I am, and where I’m going, that I forget who I was.

If you took a good look at who I am, who I was would shock and probably horrify you.
I was a girl who looked for love, acceptance, and fulfillment in a lot of wrong places.

I battled an eating disorder for many years.

I was trapped in the lie that if I could work just a little harder, God would love me more.
I was hiding an addiction to self-injury for most of my teenage years.

This is not who I am today.  But it all played a part in getting me here.  It doesn’t define me, but it shaped me and it explains me.
We need to remember who we were yesterday.

We need to remember that everyone we meet has their own yesterday.  It’s easy for middle-class people to take one look at a homeless person and separate them from their yesterday.  It’s easy to assume that who they are today is who they’ve always been. 

It’s easy to assume that this person over here, who I’ve decided is inferior to me, is more hopeless and in need of Christ than I am.
That’s why judgment is so spiritually toxic.

When we judge, we dismiss the fact that none of us can break free from our yesterdays alone.