Monday, October 8, 2012

Our Hand-Powered Washing Machine!

One thing we've been wanting to do is wean ourselves off of using the washing machine and dryer all the time.  We were tired of using so much water just to save a little time.  Plus, those machines are energy vampires!

A few months ago, we took the plunge and bought a hand-powered washing machine, and we've been thrilled with the results!  I'd say I do about two-thirds of our laundry in the Wonder Wash.  (I still do sheets and towels in the dryer because they're too big.  I also use the machine occasionally if I'm too worn out to use the WW.)  If we have kids, I'll use the Wonder Wash for the cloth diapers.  At this point I honestly can't say how much of our laundry will go into the Wonder Washer once I'm doing laundry for a family instead of a couple, but I'll certainly use it as much as I can.

I'm sure you're all wondering, "Doesn't that take forever?"  And believe it or not, it doesn't! :)  It takes less than 5 minutes per load.  

And for an added bonus: Since we live in an apartment, every load I do in the Wonder Wash is one load we don't have to shell out a handful of quarters for! :D

If you've ever wanted to try a hand-powered washer, I say just buy one and give it a try!  You can use it as much or as little as you want while you're getting used to it.