Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Why Some Social Justice Issues Get All The Hype


I just read an interesting article from Sojourners about how the church is very sex-oriented these days. I wholeheartedly agree with this article. This post is not to criticize the article but rather to take the discussion a step further.

The fact that the church is getting sex-oriented is really a symptom that the church is attention-oriented, in my humble opinion. I would say that there are four main topics that generate a lot of hype in the church today. Those issues are abortion, homosexuality, human trafficking, and overseas mission work. People who participate in activism related to those issues often get a lot of external recognition. People want to support those efforts because they are seen as “worthy causes.” I'm not saying these issues aren't important, but we need to take a look at how we usually handle said issues. The reality is, it's easy to get involved in these areas without asking a lot of tough questions, and without challenging ourselves spiritually.

I'm at the point where I really don't want to read any more articles about those four main topics. Those topics have gotten enough hype. I want to see more articles about suburban and rural poverty, sustainability, and access to mental health services. These issues are just as “moral” as the issues that generate more hype, and yet I hardly ever see articles about them. I've come up with a few reasons why no one cares about these issues:

Reason #1: The solutions are extremely “ordinary” and won't bring you external praise.
One of the most effective ways to get people working together on issues is online petitions. You'd be amazed at the changes that people have brought about through this venue. I've written about the importance of the national missionary movement and how it's a much better alternative to overseas mission work in some cases. But supporting those things won't generate praise from other people, and for many of them, that's reason enough not to bother.

Reason #2: The solutions require us to let go of prejudice. I'm going to come out and say it: I am prejudiced. If you are a member of the human race, you are prejudiced. Period. We all have our pre-conceived ideas about certain types of people and certain ideas. Issues like poverty and mental health are extremely stigmatized. Sadly, I think the subject of mental illness is even more difficult for Christians, since so many of us are buying into the BS idea that mental illness is spiritual in nature and people just need to be freed from demons and whatnot. Talking and thinking about these issues is very uncomfortable because we all have our own pre-conceived ideas of what poverty and mental illness look like, and what causes them. It's very difficult to acknowledge that these issues might look different than what we expect.

Reason #3: People care more about parties than about working together and finding common ground. I know that if I start talking about corporate bailouts and the recent budget cuts to the food stamp program, politically conservative Christians are going to write me off as liberal and ignore me. I am probably ruffling a lot of feathers with this statement but I don't care. People are way too party-oriented, especially in the church. I have lost a lot of Christian friends because I don't vote Republican and don't identify as a specific party. If someone came to me and told me they wanted to work on these issues, I wouldn't care who they voted for in the last election. I would be thrilled that they see me as another human being with good intentions. If we could stop being party-oriented we'd be in much better shape, but I'm not optimistic that it's going to happen any time soon.