Sunday, April 13, 2014

There Are NO "Bad" Foods!



I've had a rough weekend, so I was not happy when I saw that someone on Facebook labeled sweets as “bad.”

I'm going to be brutally honest here: Labeling ANY food as “bad” is not going to lead anywhere good. Food is neutral in itself. It's not good or bad. Our food CHOICES can be good or bad when we eat too much or too little of different things. I'm not against trying to make healthy food choices. But food choices are a separate issue from food itself.

As someone who's struggled with an eating disorder and nearly lost the battle, I take this issue of labeling “bad” foods very seriously. I'm not saying everyone who labels foods is destined to develop anorexia or bulimia, but you have to understand, it's a slippery slope. Once you start thinking in black and white like that, it's very hard to quit. I would know. I'm still working on it.

People who knew me back when I was at my sickest have told me how much healthier I look now. The kicker is, I got that way from eating lots of “bad” foods. When I was in treatment, I had a licensed dietician tell me to eat dessert every day. She also had me working on getting a decent level of fat intake from a variety of foods. (Did you know that all of our vital organs are made up mostly of fat tissue??)

So yeah, all that to say, I don't want to hear any more of this “bad” food business. Making the occasional batch of brownies is not bad. Being in danger of heart failure at age 21 because you're not eating? Now that's bad.