Thursday, December 12, 2013

A Humorous Take On A Less-Than Humorous Day


Today was one of the worst days I've had in awhile. Everything from having to go to the dentist (HISS!) to funky blood sugars and other lame health stuff that was really kicking my butt.

But since it's in the past, and since laughter is the best medicine, I'm going to try to do a humorous run-down of how today panned out.

So, before my dentist appointment, I had to get gas. I got a new car earlier this summer, and I love it, but the one design flaw is the fuel door is on the right. Don't get me started on how wrong that is. Which I totally forgot until I actually pulled up to a pump on my left and realized, yeeeeah, this isn't going to work. The pumps on the other side were all full, so I had to pull into a parking spot and wait, giving all bystanders solid evidence that I'm weird.

I arrived at the dentist (turns out I just had to get an old filling re-done) and started my usual routine of listening to Josh Groban and getting all hopped up on nitrous. The first novicane shot didn't numb me up quite enough, so they gave me another one, and it wasn't long before the right side of my face was numb all the way up to my eye.

Having a numb eye is, hands down, one of the weirdest experiences a person can have. Just saying.

I had planned on dropping off an Etsy package at the post office right by the dentist after my appointment. However, there were two little details I completely forgot to factor into my plan. The first detail was the fact that I would have no control over half of my face after the filling, and would therefore look like I was having a stroke. (One time I had an audiology appointment right after a filling, and the audi took one look at my face and freaked out.) So I went into the post office wearing my scarf over my face. I felt like Wilson on “Home Improvement.”

The second detail was the fact that I was away from home for more than an hour without food I could eat. I always always ALWAYS have my food bag and some glucose tabs in my purse, but again, I didn't have control over half my mouth. I didn't factor that into the equation when I was packing my food bag for the day, so this translated into having plenty of food in my purse and no food that I could actually eat.

I briefly considered driving across the road to the coffee shop and getting a smoothie or something with a straw, but my other health issues chose that moment to unleash a wave of fatigue and nausea. And since it was the lunch hour, I knew it would be quicker to just drive home, assuming I could find a way to treat the low. I looked through my food bag, trying to see if there was anything I could suck on to make it easier to chew. After a failed attempt to soften an almond by sucking on it, I realized the only thing in my purse that I'd be able to suck on was glucose tablets.

What's more disgusting than eating a glucose tablet? Sucking on one! Seriously, it was gross. I wouldn't have done that if I wasn't driving. If I was anywhere else, I would've eaten actual food instead of chalk masquerading as candy.  But since this was a matter of safety, so I had to insert something gross into my face.  

And now that all this is in the past, and today is almost yesterday, I just can't stop laughing.