Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Stomping Out the Word "Deserve"



The word “deserve” is possibly one of the most overused words in the Christian subculture. People have so many opinions on what we don't deserve because of original sin, or what we do deserve because Christ lives in us. We can spin scripture to “prove” that we do or don't deserve pretty much whatever we want.

And that's why we really need to be done with the word “deserve.” Can we really know, with absolute certainty, what we do or don't deserve in this life? Some people think so, but I've come to the conclusion that said people are a few grapes short of a fruit salad on this one. People have so many different definitions of “deserve” that it's become too subjective to be any sort of barometer for our behavior.

We need to ask ourselves what we legitimately need, and we need to get those needs met, regardless of whether or not others think we “deserve” it. I need rock-solid stability in my life after everything I've been through. I need work-life balance. (Think running an Etsy shop isn't work? Ha! Think again!) I need to make time for things that actually make me feel good, not just things that seem “productive” to me. I need to find that delicate balance between getting enough social interaction and not wearing out the “innie” half of my “ambi-vert” personality. I need knitting, writing, and art like a diabetic needs insulin.

Do I “deserve” any of those things? I honestly don't know. You could say I deserve them because I'm a “good” person, or you could say I don't because I'm a “bad” person. But I don't think it's that simple. There are very few people who are ALL good or ALL bad. And because of that, I don't know if I deserve any of these things. But I know I need them.