Thursday, May 29, 2014

"Let it Go" Eating Disorder Parody

About four years ago, I finished outpatient treatment for my anorexia.  Miraculously, I made it through with all my teeth and a decent BMI.  When I started, there were some issues with my heart, to put it mildly, but now it's alive and ticking!

I love connecting with other people who have an ED, and one of my online friends told me that the song "Let It Go" is a great description of our struggle.  I'm in a good place for the most part, but I still get the odd rough patch.  Tonight I was really struggling with operation: insert food into face, and I pulled up a subtitled video of "Let it Go".  I let the lyrics sink in as I slowly munched on bread and Nutella.  I connected with it, but I had plenty of my own words to say, so I sat down and wrote this parody in one shot.  

I will make a video of it at some point once I decide whether I want to do it a cappella or if I want to go through the to-do of using someone's piano, since I don't currently have one.

Disclaimer/cover-my-butt:  I do not own the lyrics to "Let It Go", nor am I making any money with this parody.  The lyrics to "Let It Go" are owned by Disney.

Let it Go” Eating Disorder Parody

Staring at the scale tonight
I don't want to be seen
A kingdom of starvation
And it looks like I'm the queen

The lies are raging, I'm destructing deep inside
Couldn't keep it in, heaven knows I've tried

Don't let them in, don't let them see
Be the skinny girl you have to be
Conceal, don't feel, don't let them know
But someone must know

Let it go, let it go,
Can't fake it anymore
Let it go, let it go
I've been wounded to the core!

I don't care
What the devil may say
Let the lies rage on
The darkness never bothered me anyway

It's funny how the truth
makes the big things seem so small
and the lies that once controlled me
can't get to me at all

It's time to see what G-d can do
to smash my limits and break through
no black and white, no chains for me,
I'm free

Let it go, let it go
I am joined with G-d Most High
Let it go, let it go,
it's okay to cry

Here I stand
and here I'll stay
let the lies rage on

G-d's power flurries through the air into my heart
My lifeblood's stirring and I'm getting a fresh start
And one lie crystalizes like an icy blast
I'm never going back
the past is in the past
Let it go, let it go
And I'll rise like the break of dawn
let it go, let it go
that skinny girl is gone!

Here I stand
in the light of day
let the lies rage on
the darkness never bothered me anyway!