Wednesday, November 6, 2013

PTSD Coping 101, Part 1: PTSD for Dummies


I've been living with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder for almost 15 years. For 9 of said 15 years, I had no idea that's what I have. I never wrote about it on my blog because it's not an easy subject, needless to say. I think I deluded myself into thinking that if I didn't talk about it, maybe it would somehow get a bit more compact, a bit easier to contend with. I couldn't have been more wrong.

Before I go on, let me be up front about the fact that I am never going to publicly share the details of what happened to cause my PTSD, so please don't ask. The situation is such that I simply cannot share publicly without a lot of relational consequences. People who know me in “real life” and know the situation understand where I'm coming from. For people who don't, please accept my sincere apologies for not being able to elaborate. You don't need my story to understand living with PTSD.

For anyone who is lucky enough to be unfamiliar with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, it's exactly what it sounds like: A stress response to a traumatic situation. Stimuli in the environment that are mundane to other people are triggers for us. A good analogy is allergies. What doesn't bother one person can make another person's throat close up. Someone who has been in combat might hit the ground when they hear a sound like a car backfiring, whereas someone who has not will simply be startled and keep going about their business.

PTSD was discovered during the later years of the Vietnam War, and is still extremely common amongst war veterans. Combat is not the only situation that can cause PTSD. Abuse (in any sense), accidents, living in war zones, illnesses, natural disasters, and similar incidents can all cause PTSD if not treated right away.

The hallmark of PTSD is having flashbacks. When someone is having a flashback, it's as if they are re-living the traumatic incident. It doesn't matter if it happened recently or 20 years ago. To a person with PTSD, when they have a flashback, the incident is happening again. Flashbacks usually go away on their own and decrease in frequency and severity as you get further into the recovery process. Some people have success in snapping themselves out of their flashbacks. I'll write more about this in another post.

While I'm on this subject, I want to give a short PSA: If you suspect that you might have PTSD, you need to make an appointment with your general practitioner PRONTO. Do yourself a favor and DO NOT go 9 years without coming out of the PTSD closet. The end results are not pretty. It will mess up your life to a much greater degree than if you address it as soon as you're aware of it. Unless your doctor practices integrative care, they will probably refer you to a psychiatrist or psychologist.  I can tell you with absolute certainty that it will not get better until you deal with it.  

For people with PTSD, day-to-day life can be an uphill battle.  Living a fulfilling, active life is possible, now that I've accepted the fact that I live my life as a trauma survivor.  In Part 2, I'll share some of my practical tips for coping.