Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Created to Breathe Deep

It's been horribly hot and humid this past week.  It doesn't help that the humidity is bouncing all over the place.  I've never felt this sick during the summer before.  Whenever I come home after being at work or some other place with central air, the humidity in my apartment assaults my throat and sinuses.  

The last time I sat at the table breathing in homemade thyme-infused steam, I realized that I am sick of all this.

Sick of feeling so sick, when I don't even have a cold.

Sick of the humidity and the heat.

Sick of the back and forth.

It's as if the weather is serving two masters, and my poor ENT system is collateral damage.

As I stared into the bowl of hot water, I realized something sobering.

Our souls are collateral damage whenever we try to serve two masters.  

Our souls were not designed to handle the pressure of shape-shifting.  And yet it's become par for the course.  We convince ourselves that we can serve God while trying to be "with it" so others will think well of us.  We are not supposed to be of the world.  Yet we are so blended in that it's impossible to tell the difference.  

After a few minutes of breathing deep, an amazing thing happens:

The pressure is off.

It's as if my body has returned to the way it was designed.  Our souls don't like the pressure, either.  God gave them the need to breathe deep.

It's much easier to breathe deep when you're not running around frantically trying to serve two masters.