Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Living in Gratitude

Around the time this transformation started, the importance and joy of gratitude began to sink in.  I used to do gratitude journals from time to time, which were simple lists of things I was grateful for that day.  I didn't put too fine a point on it, though.  It just felt like what I should do.  Then I stumbled upon Ann Voskamp's blog, A Holy Experience.  This dear sister actually set out to list a thousand gifts she's received from the Lord in the midst of everyday life!  

In early November, I set out to make my own list of the gifts God has given me.  I'm learning that I have to want to find the gifts or I'm not going to want to find them.  But now that I'm starting to look, I'm seeing them everywhere, even places I didn't know gifts could reside!

Right now we're up to 97 and counting!  Here are a few highlights:
49.) Grilled cheese and tomato soup
64.) Amish cookbooks
66.) handmade slippers
77.) the heat in my car is in working order

I'm even seeing gifts in the midst of my current battle with tonsillitis :):
85.) rainbow sherbet :D
86.) our warm, comfortable bed
95.) lazy mornings
96.) antibiotics
97.) long, healing naps


Leave a post if you've started listing a thousand gifts!  I'd love to hear from you!